Self Soothing Practices
When your emotional body is overstimulated or out-of-whack what actions do you take to soothe yourself?
If you aren’t conscious of your behavior, now may be the time to give yourself a look-see.
I have my standard practices:
Ground, breathe and become present.
Sit in affirmative prayer.
Take a walk.
Call a friend who loves me and reminds me of who I am.
And, today I added a new one. Adult coloring. I know, I am late on the coloring train; yet I want to say that there is brain technology that supports my new-found self-soothing practice. Check this out…according to an article by Dr. Nikki Martinez in the Huffington Post there are seven benefits to adult coloring:
- It works with the subconscious to access information and become more self-aware.
- By concentrated focus it helps with many mental and emotional disorders.
- Returns us to a simpler time in our life.
- It utilizes advanced brain functions like organization and problem solving.
- Calm down parts of our brain that are stimulated by PTSD.
- Coloring utilizes both the right and left hemisphere of the brain.
- Anxiety and unpleasant feelings are reduced in the moment.
I send each of you rays of potent Love awake and aware to the knowing that God is All There Is.