Sophy Burnham on Connecting with Our Intuitive Selves
The October 3rd post “Where has the Divine shown Itself to You Today?” was inspired by my phone conversation with author and mystic Sophy Burnham. The two of us engaged in an hour-long conversation about the spiritual journey and intuition. I wanted to know how intuition hooked up with emotions and how an I could cultivate a stronger intuitive knowing.
“Intuition” Sophy says, “is really developed through empathy.” “Empathy, however, is developed through knowing your own emotional self so you can see the emotional expressions in others.” The right side of the brain, which hosts creativity, does not utilize language like the left side of the brain does. Information comes through the right side through feelings and pictures. Our left brain isn’t developed until we are five years old when reason and rationalization become developed. In our culture, we tend to, then, value the left side of the brain and close down the access to our right side. Both sides are necessary, and equally valuable. When an individual is in an intuitive state “everything in the brain lights up except the language part of the brain,” says Sophy. With intuitive, the knowing comes from pictures and knowings.
Are you interested in increasing your intuition? Here are suggestions Sophy shares with us:
1. Meditate. Stilling the mind allows for knowing to ripening. (Information on brain states are in her book).
2. Practice going into an altered mental state (through mind quieting), ask yourself questions then TRUST IT. Listen – Trust – Act.
3. Be aware of mistakes. They are great teachers. “I knew not to, and did it anyway.” “I got a creepy vibe and overrode it.”
4. Tools exist like tarot cards, the pendulum and dowsing rods. Using these tools doesn’t mean intuition is being accessed, however, using these tools can lead to accessing intuition.
5. Develop a spiritual life. Intuition is a bi-product of a spiritual life. “But remember, powers are only powers and are not to be taken seriously. Our connection with God is to be taken seriously.”
I contacted Sophy after hearing a recording of a talk she gave on intuition, I wanted to know more. I purchased her book, The Art of Intuition, and savored each page. I picked up two more of her books which have fed me in their own ways. I followed my own intuition and stood witness to my world expanding. Create the world you want to live in. Connect with your earth brother and sisters in a way that works for you.
With a full heart and open intuitive center I bid you love,